Application to the English Language Institute
To be accepted, you must follow these steps and provide the required documentation:
You will receive an email confirming receipt of your online application 24 to 48 hours after you submitted it. The email will contain your login name and password to log into the myELI website.
2. $100 application fee. Please enter the applicant’s name in the Personal Information field and the name of the person holding the credit card in the Payment Information field.
After you log in, you can upload the required application documents. Please email us after you upload your documents so we can review them. Here are the required documents:
3. Proof of secondary school completion.
4. Proof of financial responsibility if you intend to study on an F-1 visa. Use the ELI’s Certificate of Financial Responsibility (PDF).
Government and University Sponsored Students: If you will have a financial guarantee from your government or university, we can only accept an application directly from you or your government/university sponsor. We are unable to accept applications from private third-party agents for students with government or university based financial guarantees.
5. A copy of your passport.
6. Must reach the age of 17 before the first day of class at the ELI. If the applicant is not yet 18, a parent or guardian must sign and date a Waiver of Liability (this is an example only (PDF). We will send you the official one by email) and the Immunization Form (PDF).
University of Florida English Language Institute
P.O. Box 117051
223 Matherly Hall
Gainesville, FL 32611-7051
When we receive your complete application, we will send F-1 applicants immigration documents by express mail. You must present this form to the authorities in your country to obtain a visa for study in the US. To get the visa, you need to pay a $350 SEVIS fee. This fee is from the US government and must be paid in order to make an appointment at the US consulate, where you will meet with a consular official and interview for your visa. The process can take some time, so be sure to apply for the visa at least one month before you plan to arrive in Gainesville.
US immigration laws require visiting students to the United States to submit a record of their immunizations. To study with us, we require immunizations records on this form (PDF) only.
Health Insurance Requirement
Students are required to show proof of health insurance coverage for the entire ELI term. You will not be allowed to attend classes without it. We strongly recommend that you buy insurance when you arrive at the university. You can buy UnitedHealthcare plans for $209 per month, or you can look at other plans on the UF International Center website here (the cost of these plans varies depending on the student’s age).However, if you choose to buy insurance in your country, your insurance company must verify that your plan meets these requirements.
In order to allow time to issue immigration documents and to make sure that space will be available, completed applications should be in the ELI at least three weeks before the session begins. For the exact date, check the Calendar and Fees
Admission to the University of Florida
Admission to the ELI is not the same as admission to the University of Florida. If you wish to obtain admission to the university, you must apply there directly. You can request the necessary forms from the Admissions Office, Criser Hall, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, U.S.A. You can also visit the main
University of Florida web site or UF International Admissions.
Regulations for International Students
International students must follow these regulations established by the U.S. Immigrations and Naturalization Service (INS).
- Applicants are required to show proof of financial responsibility (in English). A completed Certificate of Financial Responsibility (PDF) showing enough funding to cover your chosen session’s expenses constitutes proof (see Calendar and Fees for expenses).
- The immigration documents issued by the ELI are valid only while the student is at the ELI. They may not be transferred to another person.
- Students must maintain their status as ELI students. Students are expected to attend class regularly to maintain student status.
- If you need more information about obtaining a visa from the United States, the U.S. State Department Education site/main U.S. State Department site might be useful.
The ELI application fee is non-refundable. Tuition is refundable in full up until the drop-add date published in the ELI Semester Dates. Tuition is non-refundable after this date. Tuition paid with a credit card must be refunded to the credit card used to make the payment. Tuition paid with cashier’s check or money order will be refunded via check. A check refund may take 6-8 weeks to process. In order to drop classes and receive a refund, a student must complete a drop-add form or a withdrawal form before the drop-add deadline. There are no refunds or tuition credits after the drop-add deadline.